Enabling DRM for Live content
Playback technologies used
Brightcove Player utilizes different DRM playback technologies with different browsers. The following details the DRM technologies used with Brightcove Player:
- FairPlay: Apple's DRM system
- PlayReady: Microsoft's DRM system
- Widevine: Google's DRM system
The following table details the relationship between the browser (latest version), format and playback technology used in Brightcove Player:
|Browser||Format||Playback Technology||Rendition Type Used
to Deliver DRM Content
|Chrome Desktop||HLS with Widevine||Native HLS||HLS|
|Chrome Mobile1||HLS with Widevine||Native HLS||HLS|
|Internet Explorer||No versions of IE are supported by Brightcove|
|Edge||DASH with PlayReady||Native/EME||MPEG-DASH|
|Safari||HLS with FairPlay||Native HLS||HLS|
|Firefox||HLS with Widevine||Native HLS||HLS|
1DRM playback using Chrome Mobile on iOS is not supported.
To enable DRM for your Live content follow these steps:
- In ADVANCED OPTIONS > Content Encryption. Select Digital Rights Management(DRM) from the Encryption dropdown.
- An additional Token Expiration option will appear, allowing you to select the time in seconds with a minimum expiration time frame of 900 seconds and a maximum of 2592000 seconds (the last equal to 30 days).
- In the Event Information Panel, you will be able to see the DRM URLs for Fairplay and Widevine.
- To publish a DRM-enabled event, click Publish and Embed > Player Configuration in the left navigation.
- In Live Player Options, select a DRM enabled player. (For Live DRM playback you will need to select or create a DRM enabled player v6.37.1 or greater).
- If you don’t have a DRM player available, go to the Player Module > Select or Create a Player > Playback in the left navigation. Select the “Enable DRM” option. (The Player for Live DRM playback has to be v6.37.1 or greater).
- Back in the Live module, you will be able to select your DRM enabled player and Publish your DRM event.